The Archbishop’s Mansion
The Archbishop’s Mansion is a prominent landmarked residential structure of imposing size, located on a strategic corner facing Alamo Square Park, one of the City’s oldest and most attractive parks developed during the peak Victorian era from the 1860’s. The Archbishop’s Mansion was built in 1904 and was the Archbishop’s residence until the mid 1960’s. It was extensively and expensively restored during the conversion to a boutique hotel in 1983-84, and possesses one of the most striking interior designs and décor to be found in late Victorian architecture. The exterior is understated elegance in the French Second Empire Victorian style.
The building is located at the northeast corner of Alamo Square Park, an attractive, well maintained urban park with tennis courts, play areas, extensive grass fields, beautiful trees, and views of the “Painted Ladies” with the City skyline behind them. This area is seven blocks west of the Opera House, Symphony Hall, and City Hall. It is conveniently central to the employment centers of the downtown and the Civic Center, as well as easily accessible to the inner-city freeway and Golden Gate Park. The Alamo Square Historic District has the greatest concentration of significant Victorian architecture in the City. Many properties, like the Archbishop’s Mansion have official landmark status. It is one of the City’s most attractive Victorian-era neighborhoods.
A wide terrazzo stairway leads to an oak paneled exterior entryway with decorative iron grills over the double glass front doors and side panels. This opens into a large paneled foyer with a coffered ceiling. To the right is the parlor with a vaulted hand painted ceiling and fireplace with an elaborate mantelpiece. To the left are a smaller paneled “receiving room” and a large room used as an office. Through a tall archway with two etched glass side panels is the colonnaded central hall with a dramatic three-story staircase topped by an extraordinary 12′ oval stained glass domed skylight.
This grand hall (12 x 52 feet) leads, to the right, into an elegant formal dining room with redwood paneling, coffered ceiling, bay window, elaborate built in serving cabinet and fireplace. Down the hall to the left is a self-contained suite with a sitting room with fireplace, a bedroom and bath. Behind the dining room is a butler’s pantry with a commercial dishwasher and built in cabinets leading into a huge kitchen recently remodeled with granite and stainless counter tops, Wolf and Sub Zero appliances and glass fronted cabinets. Off the kitchen is a sunny breakfast room. There are two large walk-in pantries. A back hallway leads to a half bath, the rear staircase which serves all four floors, and a further bedroom with bath.
Size: 20,740 Sq. Ft.
Bathrooms: 14 Full, 4 Half
Specialty Items: Built in 1904, 10,656 Sq. Ft. Lot, 16 Fireplaces, 4 Story, 2 Stairways, Elevator, Fully Restored.
Address: 1000 Fulton Street, San Francisco, California, United States, 94117
There is an elevator to all four floors. All the ceilings on the ground floor are 12 feet high. The Second Floor has a wide hall around the open staircase. There is an oval bedroom with a very large built-in dressing room and bath. Off the hall, a large living room opens into a media room and a library. All these rooms have coffered or coved ceilings, extensive wood work and fireplaces. There is another bedroom and large bath, both with fireplaces. To the rear of the hall are two additional bedrooms with baths.
The second floor ceilings are 11 feet high. Third Floor has seven bedrooms with baths. Six of these have a fireplace. One of these is a two room suite and another is the former ballroom. All have coved ceilings and decorative wooden details. The third floor ceilings are 10 feet high. Views; all of the major rooms have views of Alamo Square Park, and there are some views of the city skyline including the Beaux-Art City Hall.
The Lower Ground Floor has an enormous studio space with an office alcove. There is a paneled room with coffered ceilings, a curved bay window and a fireplace. Also: one bath and one half bath, boiler room, a heater room, two additional rooms, a large laundry room, and a workroom. There is a heavily reinforced vault which reportedly housed the City’s treasury in the weeks following the 1906 earth quake and fire. The Archbishop’s Mansion was undamaged in that event. The lower ground floor has excellent window areas and is part to entirely above grade. The ceilings in the major rooms are 10 feet high.