The Brady House (1827) – $4,495,000
The Brady House (1827)
1827 Greek Revival, Goldens Bridge, New York, United States
A thirty-four year labor of love has transformed this historic 1827 home from an abandoned and deteriorating white elephant back into a glorious Greek Revival Landmark. “Enchanting, Distinctive, Elegant, Inspiring, Romantic, Timeless and Historic”. These emotions describe this one of a kind fully restored iron-fenced Westchester County estate that is embraced by rolling-meadows, expansive lawns, age-old trees, stream/waterfalls, endless stonewalls, elegant architectural details and gracious rooms. Near train…less than one hour to New York City. This house was recently the featured house in the Wall Street Journal and was the setting for a bio channel TV series. It was also the featured segment for NBC TV’s Open House NYC which can be seen below.
Enjoy a remarkable fieldstone and iron “sculpture” hand-crafted for a former grist/cider and saw mill along with its 150 by 15 foot stone dam and long stone lined stream in service since Pre Revolutionary War times. You can see this striking structure from a distance or walk around and over it or just sit and listen to the waterfall and contemplate this work of art and the history it represents.
Size: 7,992 Sq. Ft.
Specialty Items: Built in 1827, 7 Fireplaces, Double Parlor, Country Kitchen, Library, His & Her Offices, 1,776 Sq. Ft. Game Room, Stone Pub, 1,200 Bottle Stone Wine Cellar, Utilities Totally Updated, 5.42 Acres, History Dating Back to the Pre-Revolutionary War, 7-Zone Heating.
Address: 1827 Greek Revival, Goldens Bridge, New York, United States
History – From Pre Revolutionary War Times
Goldens Bridge was not the scene of a major battle of the Revolutionary War; nor was it the site of a strategic fort. However, George Washington did sleep here and the area around Goldens Bridge was involved in the war just as all parts of New York were.
Although Westchester and as such Goldens Bridge were “Neutral Ground” this meant that farmers were liable to be raided or attacked by either British or American regiments or outlaws. Therefore, almost every family had a secret retreat in which to hide during a raid or attack. The Brady house has two caves in one of its’ stonewalls. Perhaps these were the hiding places for Brady family members. It is said that these caves were later used as part of the Underground Railroad.
The Brady family came to Goldens Bridge in manor days when Simeon Brady built a frame house on the property. This initial Brady farmhouse was one of the first frame houses in Westchester County. In the early 1800’s Simeon’s son, who was also named Simeon, (1777-1864) built the “Yellow House” (the local term for the Brady House) that stands today. By 1880 he had increased his land holdings (1700 acres) and cattle and milk herds to become the largest dairy business in the Harlem Valley. He traveled all over the country for business and pleasure; and shipped his cattle and farm produce wherever the railroad made it profitable. The large Brady dairy farm at one time produced over 100 ten gallon cans a day (4,000 quarts).
This farm also contained a saw and cider mill (driven by a water turbine not a water wheel…it could also be driven by animal power) the remains of which can be seen today…including the large saw blade. The Brady farm was also famous for its applejack cider, which was shipped in barrels from Goldens Bridge. Edward B. Brady moved the original frame house of Revolutionary days off the property and in 1906 left the “Yellow House” to his son, Simeon, who added the pillars in front and the third floor and changed the roof to a hip design. From 1847 to 1848 the mayor of New York City was a William V. Brady. Legend has it that the iron fence around the “Brady House” property was once around Battery Park or Tammany Hall in NYC.
The Brady house changed hands several times and we purchased the property in 1975 from John G. McCullough of Bennington Vermont (McCullough Hall on Bennington College campus is named after him). At the time of our purchase the house had been abandoned for several years, had hundreds of broken panes of glass and was used by local teenagers as a “party house.” And, they left behind walls smeared with various sayings. Our restoration efforts were christened not long after we purchased the house. A severe storm sent a very large pine tree, one of two on the front lawn, crashing into and destroying much of the portico. We restored the portico and continued restoring the house always striving to maintain the integrity of the original structure while creatively interpreting how space is utilized. We have owned the house for 36 years.