POA | 16th Century | 166 Acres
Girvan, Ayrshire, Scotland, KA26 9QF
Killochan Castle, a substantial category A listed historic tower house located in South Ayrshire on the north side of the fertile valley of the Girvan Water, is for sale for an undisclosed amount in South Scotland. It was first built in 1338 as a four-storey tower, a date stone above the front door shows that in 1586, Ihone Cathcart added a wing to the Castle making it L-shaped with an additional round tower built on the external angle and a smaller rectangular turret in the re-entrant angle. The Castle was the property of the Carleton branch of the Cathcart family for over five hundred years until it was sold in 1954. The Castle, together with all the associated properties within the grounds which extend in total to 166 acres, were subject to an extensive restoration project from 2014 – 2016 transforming it back into one of the county’s most imposing country houses. The Castle now features spectacular reception rooms which are complimented by a number of spacious bedrooms and extremely well appointed bathrooms. The Gatehouse by the Castle offers separate guest or staff accommodation as do a further two cottages within the grounds. Killochan is readily accessible being a short drive from both Prestwick and Glasgow Airports. Killochan Castle is on the market with Evelyn Channing of Savills.