214 S. State Street, Elgin, Illinois, United States
The Ora Pelton House, or the Izzo-Pelton House, is a historic residence in Elgin, Illinois. The Stick-Eastlake residence is the only Victorian house remaining on South State Street, formerly a wealthy area. It was built for Dr. Ora Levant Pelton, a physician and surgeon, by local architect Gilbert M. Turnbull. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The house has remained in the hands of only two families since its construction: the Pelton family to 1955, and the Izzo family since. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 12, 1982. The rectangular, three-story house is laid on a stone foundation. It features many aspects typical of the Queen Anne Style, but its comparative austerity is typical of Stick-Eastlake designs. Porch columns and the second floor balcony are particularly representative of the Eastlake Movement. The only significant change to the exterior is a 1920s one-storey addition on the southwest corner of the house. A carriage house, built in 1890, still stands in the backyard.
On the interior, the oak staircase in the foyer was laid against a wall with glass windows to the exterior. A Czech chandelier hangs over the staircase. The parlour has an interlocking parquet hardwood floor. Fireplaces are present in the parlour and two second-floor bedrooms. Each room in the house is floored with a different kind of wood: oak in the main hall and stairway, birch in the parlours, sycamore in the dining room, bird’s-eye maple in the office, yellow leaf pine in the kitchen, and gum wood in the bedrooms. Information found on Ora Pelton House. Main photo above taken by theamericanhome.