SOLD | Built 1895 | 6 Beds | 7.5 Baths | 13,000 Sq. Ft. | 0.22 Acres
A spectacular mid-1890s Richardsonian Romanesque manor complete with separate coach house in Chicago’s acclaimed Lincoln Park last sold for $4.5 million. The 0.22 acre property hit the market in 2016 for $8.9 million following an extensive renovation. Designed by architect Edmund Krause and built c.1895, the residence offers more than 13,000 square feet of space with an updated kitchen and bathrooms as well as restored woodwork, the original staircase and wonderful art glass. The mansion had been split into six apartments before the current owners commissioned von Weise Associates to restore it back into a single family residence. Marion Restoration was also commissioned for exterior work such as joint repointing and stone replacement and restoration. The renovation lasted two years, resulting in an architecturally magnificent exterior matched with comfortable interiors with a nod to the past. There are six bedrooms and eight bathrooms, with a large master suite complete with sitting turret, dressing room, updated bathroom and private terrace. Additional features include a top floor exercise room, large playroom with kitchenette, wine cellar and a “never shovel again” snowmelt system on the driveway and all sidewalks! The coach house includes space for three vehicles and offers an apartment, perfect as a guest house or space for a nanny.
1 of 47