$3,295,000 | Built 1913 | 7,666 Sq. Ft. | 5 Beds | 5.5+ Baths | 2.07 Acres
555 Argonne Drive NW, Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 30305
An Atlanta landmark, Spotswood Hall perfectly embodies the rich social & architectural character of its exclusive Buckhead surroundings. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, beautiful original details contribute to the singular air of refinement woven throughout the residence. Built in the Neoclassical Revival Style, this home represents the work of A. Ten Eyck Brown & Philip Trammell Shutze. Framed by a canopy of mature trees, this iconic home offers a traditional front porch, gracious entry foyer & well proportioned entertaining rooms. There is 7,666 square feet of interior space with 5 bedrooms and 5.5+ bathrooms. Spotswood Hall is on the market for $3.29 million with Bonneau Ansley with Ansley Atlanta Real Estate. Cover photo by Jeff Herr.
City of Atlanta, Georgia: “Built in 1913, Spotswood Hall is significant as one of the first houses constructed as suburban development began to transform the old farm land along Peachtree Road, W. Pace’s Ferry Road, and Arden Road (old Howell Mill Road) in the early 1900s. Spotswood Hall is of some historical significance for its associations with Shelby Smith, Fulton County commissioner and a member of the building committee (1911-1912) that supervised construction of the new Fulton County Courthouse during those years. A road contractor and real estate developer, Smith built his new house on one of the most prominent sites in the developing suburbs northwest of Atlanta. The house is also significant for its associations with Lucian Lamar Knight, who owned the house from 1918-1930 and christened it Spotswood Hall.”
“Spotswood Hall is also significant as an example of the work of two important Atlanta architects. Principally noted for his large institutional and commercial buildings, A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878-1940) is reputed to have designed the original Neo-Classical house in 1913, the year after he completed work on the Fulton County Courthouse. Featuring a two-story, pedimented portico with Ionic columns, the house remains an outstanding wood-framed example of the style. Philip Trammell Shutze (1890-1982) redesigned the interior and rear of the house for the Hills in 1933 but preserved nearly all of Brown’s Neo-Classical exterior. The dramatically redesigned interior, which includes a rotunda decorated by the renowned artist Athos Menaboni, echoes some of Shutze’s most important work from the 1920s while the redesigned rear facade represents the transition of his work to the Regency-inspired designs that characterized much of his best work later in the 1930s. The remodeling of Spotswood Hall was one of Hentz, Adler, and Shutze’s few commissions in 1933 and 1934, when the Depression forced the partners to forego their salaries in order to keep the firm afloat. It, therefore, represents not only an important phase of Shutze’s work but also a critical phase in the viability of one of the city’s most important architectural firms in the twentieth century.”
1 of 50