£19,500,000 | Built 1841 | 5 Beds | 7 Baths
Fulham Road, London, England
A rare opportunity to acquire a recently completed church conversion on Fulham Road has come available in London, England. The St Mark’s House was originally designed by Victorian architect Edward Blore, best known for this contributions to the design of Buckingham Palace, and has been masterfully converted into two separate residences. Both residences are currently on the market. St John’s House is on the market with a guide price of £15 million while St Mark’s House is on the market with a guide price of £19.5 million. Originally designed to serve as the Chapel of the College of St. Mark, the building, commissioned by Derwent Coleridge, the son of the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was completed in 1841. In the 1920s a merger of two educational institutions created The College of St. Mark and St. John, of which the Chapel remained a part. In 1973, the College moved to Plymouth and in the years that followed the building was put to a number of different uses, including service as a film studio.
The exterior of the house has been carefully restored and enhanced, with sympathetic and functional landscaping surrounding the building, including private off street parking. The architectural approach lightly touches the original shell crafted internally by Thorp Design floating gently within the restored outline of the original building. Internally a number of significant features do remain such as evocative period windows, which have now become an integral part of the townhouse. The contemporary interiors of St Mark’s House have been carefully curated by Thorp Interior Design. Tactile finishes such as fabric coated walls and custom woodwork offer warmth and elegance, while feature fireplaces and statement lighting add touches of drama and aesthetic excitement. The St Mark’s House is on the market with a guide price of £19.5 million with Charles Olver and Toby Anderdon of Knight Frank.