1440 Drummond Street Montréal, Québec H3G 1V9
Located in the heart of the Golden Square Mile, Le Mount Stephen is a luxury boutique hotel located in Montréal’s historic George Stephen House. The mansion, also called the Mount Stephen Club Building, is known for being home to the Mount Stephen Club from 1926 to 2011. The magnificent residence was designed by architect William Tutin Thomas and built by Montréal contractor J. H. Hutchison for George Stephen, president of Bank of Montréal and of the Canadian Pacific Railway. According to Le Mount Stephen, “Construction took three years and involved numerous craftsmen brought especially from Europe to work on its opulent interior.” Construction started in 1880 and finished in 1883. “Tidan Hospitality and Real Estate Group acquired this magnificent property of priceless architectural and heritage value in 2006. Today, the hotel embraces its past in the historic mansion at its forefront, and celebrates the present in a sleek contemporary tower of 90 rooms and suites behind. Without a doubt, Le Mount Stephen creates its own adjectives, and Lord Stephen’s legacy lives on.” The mansion was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1971, as the best example of a Renaissance Revival house in Canada and due to its association with George Stephen. More history about the mansion. Photography by Le Mount Stephen.