NFS | Built 1929 | 4,337 Sq. Ft. | 4 Beds | 4.5 Baths | 49.6 Acres
Ossining, New York, United States
A commanding stone castle set on nearly 50 acres in Ossining, New York with a history dating to the 1920s sits empty and abandoned. Property records reveal the property selling twice in the last 20 years, once in 2001 for $1.5 million and again in 2011 for $3.75 million. It was recently on the market for $3.2 million. The castle was built in the 1920s for David T. Abercrombie, co-founder of Abercrombie & Fitch, and designed by his architect wife, Lucy Abbott Cate. The couple named their home Elda Castle, an acronym for their four children: Elizabeth, Lucy, David and Abbott, according to Country Living. The New York History Blog revealed: “Abercrombie had sold his share of Abercrombie & Fitch to his partner, Ezra Fitch, and begun a career in the military by the time he and his wife broke ground on the project in 1925.” Set on nearly 50 acres, the estate is made up of three separate tax lots and would be ideally used as a serene private estate or possibly developed. The castle and barn will require a total restoration. Elda Castle was last on the market for $3.2 million with Christina DiMinno of Sotheby’s International Realty.
Country Living revealed, “Constructed with steel from Cate’s father’s iron works in Baltimore and granite and fieldstone believed to be sourced from the Hudson Valley area, the castle consists of two stories of living space. At one time, there were 25 rooms, including servants’ quarters. Two striking features that still remain today are the open courtyard meant to look like a ruin and a spiral staircase to the tower. Construction was completed in 1928. Just one year later, the couple’s daughter, Lucy, died in a tragic accident at her father’s Ossining factory. In 1931, at the age of 64, David Sr. died of rheumatic fever, and in 1937, David Jr. was killed in an accident. After her husband died, Cate went to live with their eldest daughter, Elizabeth, in New Jersey, until her own death in 1955. As a result, Elda sat empty off and on for years, sustaining damage from vandals including fires and paint poured on the marble floors.”