SOLD | Built c.1896 | 7,644 Sq. Ft. | 7 Beds | 5 Baths | 0.42 Acres
While doing research on a photo of a staircase landing turret with remarkable curved stained glass panels, we uncovered the James S. LaPrelle mansion in Saint Louis. The three-storey stone Romanesque Revival style mansion was designed by the architectural firm of H.E. Roach and Sons in 1896 for James S. LaPrelle, owner of LaPrelle-Williams Shoe Company. There is an arched entryway, large round turret on the right and a Ludowici roof. A smaller turret can be found on the left side of the house. You’ll notice the original conical roof on the large turret has been removed. The 7,644 square foot interiors include a grand hall wrapped in exquisite Satinwood with fireplace and grand staircase, a parlour with hand-carved fireplace, music room with original wall covering, a library with leaded glass door fronts and a dining room with rounded china cabinets. There is also an updated kitchen with French Lacanche range and a total of 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms on three floors. An old listing described the mansion as “an architectural masterpiece” being “appraised at $1.25 million” and nothing that the seller was “very motivated”. It had been on the market as much as $2.18 million since 2009 and property records reveal it last sold in 2016 for $900,000.