Built 1878 | 18,600 Sq. Ft. | 80 Acres
1424 Canton Avenue, Milton, Massachusetts, United States, 02186
Originally constructed in 1878 for William Eustis, his wife Edith Eustis, and their family, the Eustis Estate occupies 80 acres of uplands in Milton, Massachusetts. The estate’s centerpiece is the mansion house, a spectacular Victorian stone building designed by William Ralph Emerson. The estate also includes several other houses associated with the Eustis family along with a gatehouse and stable which also hold historical significance. According to HistoricNewEngland.org, “The gatehouse was built in 1892, and family history tells us that W.E.C. Eustis designed it himself. Constructed from fieldstone, the gatehouse became the new formal entrance to the estate fourteen years after the main house was built.” Currently operating as a museum, the home remained in the family until it was sold in 2012 to Historic New England, an architectural historic preservation organization. Information provided by Wikipedia.com.