Newport, RI’s Restored c.1853 Quatrel Mansion Reduced to $5.99M, Prev. $8.25M
673 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, Rhode Island, United States, 02840
When Jay and Brenda Wilson purchased Newport’s historic Quatrel mansion in 2009 for $1,500,000, they knew they had a big job ahead of them. The 9,800 square foot mansion was in dire need of repair. The couple worked with Kirby Perkins Construction through the multi-million dollar restoration which earned them the Doris Duke Historic Preservation award. The result is nothing short of spectacular. Perfectly sited on a 1.24 acre landscaped estate across from Doris Duke’s Rough Point, Quatrel was designed by architect Thomas Alexander Tefft in 1853 for Earl P. Mason and was originally named Fairbourne. It was originally in the style of an Italianate villa before selling in 1880 to New York lawyer and art connoisseur, Egerton Winthrop, who enlisted architect Dudley Newton and Ogden Codman, Jr. in 1903 to enlarge and remodel the house into a Classical Revival style. According to the listing, many of Codman’s architectural drawings for Quatrel are in the collection of Historic New England and include elevations, details, and plans for the dining room, hall, library, drawing room, and the garden and trellis. The historic interiors with detailed plaster work and marble fireplace mantles were designed by Ogden Codman, Jr. and have been meticulously restored to the highest standards. In 1949 the property sold to Louis and Elain Lorillard, founders of The Newport Jazz Festival, who renamed the house to Quatrel. Amenities include a state of the art geothermal heating and cooling system and an elevator serving all three floors. There are 7 bedrooms, 6 full and 2 partial bathrooms. The property includes a two bedroom carriage house with two car garage. Quatrel is a short walk to Bailey’s Beach and the Cliff Walk. It’s on the market for $5,995,000 with Sotheby’s International Realty.