North Carolina’s Abandoned c.1803 Hope Plantation Restored to Former Glory (PHOTOS)

North Carolina’s Abandoned c.1803 Hope Plantation Restored to Former Glory

132 Hope House Road, Windsor, North Carolina, United States

A magnificent plantation house built from 1796 – 1803 in Windsor, North Carolina has been brought back from a derelict state and is now occupied by the Historic Hope Foundation and open to the public. NC State University Libraries: “The house was built for David Stone, first owner, after his marriage to Hannah Turner. The structure has a high brick basement with a deck-on-hip roof and Chinese lattice railings on the deck and porticoes. This Palladian-influenced structure contains one of the oldest surviving service stairs in the state. David Stone served as Governor of North Carolina from 1808 to 1810, and as United States Senator from 1812 to 1814. The house fell into decay in the mid-twentieth century and was restored by the Historic Hope Foundation. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.” Photos found on NC State University Libraries. 













You may also like

Facebook Comments