Then & Now: The Homes of John Carpenter’s 1978 Film Halloween
Los Angeles, California, United States
Halloween is right around the corner and classic horror movies are streaming to televisions across North America. One of those classics is the 1978 film Halloween written by John Carpenter & Debra Hill and starring Jamie Lee Curtis in her film debut. The first house, where most of the murders took place, is where Annie (Nancy Loomis) was babysitting Lindsey Wallace. The home is located at 1537 N. Orange Grove Avenue, Los Angeles, California, and just like in the film, it is located right across the street from where Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) was babysitting Tommy. According to property records, 1537 N. Orange Grove was built in 1962 with a little over 2,600 square feet of space and 5 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms. The home has undergone some fairly drastic changes since the film was released in 1978. A large addition was construction on the left side with a garage added beneath. Directly across the street is where Laurie was babysitting for the night. 1530 N. Orange Grove, Los Angeles, California has remained about the same since the film’s release, with minor updating such as a new front door. Property records show 1530 N. Orange Grove being built in 1920 with a little under 2,400 square feet with 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms.
Then & Now Movie Locations: The house was built in 1885. During the time of filming, the house was vacant and in pretty bad shape physically. How you see it on film was how it really looked. Production didn’t even have to do any set dressing to the house until they shot the 1953 prologue, which required the house to appear as if it was in much better shape than it really was, and that was the last thing they shot at the house. The house laid dormant until 1987. That’s when every house on the block was cleared out, one at a time. The Myers house was the very last one scheduled for demolition. It was on this day that David Margrave was on his fateful morning stroll past the house, when he noticed a bulldozer starting to plow into it. He ran over to the driver and asked him to stop and the driver obliged. Margrave then paid the owner of the house (who he knew) a visit and struck up a deal to buy the house for one silver dollar. After that, he had one week to have the house removed off the property or it would too be demolished. The only problem was, he had nowhere to put the house. So one night, out of desperation, he had the house moved roughly one block south onto railroad property, which he did not own, near the intersection of Mission St. and Meridian Ave. The history and significance of the house was taken into consideration and it was allowed to remain in that spot, and that’s where it’s sat ever since. It’s currently used for commercial office space.