206 W Turnpike Street, Vevay, Indiana, United States, 47043
The history of the Schenck Mansion began in 1874. Benjamin Franklin Schenck, a wealthy merchant, editor and manufacturer, commissioned Cincinnati architect George P. Humphries to design the towering brick residence. According to The Indiana Album, the 8,000 square foot Italianate mansion was built at a cost of $67,000 and included 35 rooms and 5 bathrooms. The Indiana Album explained the mansion’s long history, “Due to failing health, Schenck only lived in the house for two summers before his untimely death in 1877 at age 42. His wife Celestine lived in the house intermittently until she died in 1885.In 1923 the three Schenck daughters gave the aging and neglected house and 65 surrounding acres to the Indiana Baptist Convention who named it the Schenck Memorial Home for a few years before returning ownership to the family. In the 1940s Clarence and Lula Wiseman lived in the house and made it available to the Switzerland County Saddle Club, who had a 1/4 mile horse track at the foot of the hill. Several other owners had it through the years and began restoration, but credit goes to the current owners, Jerry and Lisa Fisher, who bought the house in 1998, completed the restoration in 2000 and opened the Schenck Mansion Bed & Breakfast Inn.” Furnished with antique and reproduction furniture reflecting the mansion’s history, the structure is also fully air conditioned and upgraded with modern amenities. There are five guest suites to choose from which range from as little as $120 in the low season and $220 in the high season. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Check out the Scheneck Mansion Bed & Breakfast website for full details on availability.