Wayzata Bay’s Historic BonSyde Estate Demolished for New Construction
Demolished | Built c.1894 | 5 Beds | 10.5 Baths | 12,000 Sq. Ft. | 3.12 Acres
426 Ferndale Road S, Wayzata, Minnesota, United States, 55391
Take one look at the shores of Wayzata Bay, Browns Bay or Lower Lake in Minnesota and you’ll notice an abundance of property currently being cleared and prepared for new construction. Out with the old and in with the new, at least that seems to be the new normal. Several of these large waterfront estate properties once included century old mansions that are being knocked down in favour of new construction. We’re destroying irreplaceable architecture one property at a time. A substantial property along Ferndale Road that included two architecturally important residences was recently cleared and developed into several new properties. One of theoriginal 7.17 acre estates included a landmark 8,500 square foot contemporary home designed by Romaldo Giurgola for the head of Dayton Hudson Corp. in 1970. It sold for $9,100,000 and TEA2 Architects were commissioned to design a new home in its place. A neighbouring Greek Revival mansion dating to c.1894 was also given approval for demolition to make way for a new home. Known as The BonSyde Estate, the sprawling 12,000 square foot residence was designed by architect William Channing Whitney and built c.1894 for William G. Northup. The magnificent structure included towering Corinthian columns, detailed interior archways, hardwood flooring and ornate fixtures throughout. Property records reveal the home included five bedrooms, ten full and one half bathrooms. According to CommunityExpert.com, the residence had become neglected and run down in the late-1990s, at which time Clyde Jorgenson purchased it and embarked on a four-year restoration. It’s been described as one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in Minnesota and one of the best preserved William Channing Whitney designed homes in existence. The BonSyde Estate was sold to Michael Reger who eventually won approval from the City of Wayzata to demolish the structure in 2013. The original home sat on 3.12 acres with spectacular formal gardens, fountains, patios, a bath house, pool house and boat house on Wayzata Bay.